Having a small business can be extremely rewarding, and these days, small businesses are evolving pretty fast. For many small business owners decreasing costs and increasing productivity are top priorities.
After spending months or even years developing and growing your business, you’ve probably taken many risks and learned a lot about the industry and the specific needs of your business.
But keeping up with the non-stop competition means you must be resourceful and work smart. Space management is essential, and that’s when you start considering ways to store your inventory and equipment.
Here are some top benefits of your small business needing a self-storage unit.
What can you store in a self-storage unit
There’s no doubt that self-storage units are a convenient solution when you want to free up some space and keep your office tidy and clutter-free. Having an organised and sorted work area means better work efficiency.
How can small businesses utilise a self-storage facility?
No matter what your business sells, inventory often takes a considerable amount of space, and housing everything on-site can cause a slower work process, which you want to avoid.
That’s where renting some extra space for the duration of your company’s needs becomes so important.
Paperwork and documents pile up pretty fast, no matter how digitalised your office is. You can easily organise and sort your business documentation in a self-storage unit.
Suppose you’re moving to a new office or simply making a renovation. In that case, there’s a good chance you have different furniture, equipment, electronics, or other office appliances that need to be stored somewhere.
The moving and renovating process is exhausting enough, and you can make it easier by renting a self-storage unit. You’ll know your things are safe for as long as you need them to be there.
Many small businesses sell products that are only needed during specific seasons and holidays. You can keep your seasonal belongings in a self-storage unit and use them when needed.
Why it is beneficial for your business
The benefits of using a self-storage unit for your small business are tremendous.
The ability to keep your not needed inventory, equipment, or paperwork in a self-storage can save your company money. You’re provided with flexible services depending on your company’s needs.
Having an organised and clutter-free office is essential for a better work environment and work efficiency.
Self-storage facilities also have high-security standards, giving you peace of mind knowing your equipment, furniture, paperwork, or other important belongings are safe and sound.
Many small business owners prefer renting a self-storage unit because of the minimal overhead costs.
When you don’t have much that needs to be stored, why spend money on a large warehouse when you can store everything necessary in a storage facility with the size of your specific needs?
How will it benefit different businesses?
Seeing your business grow means you’re doing something right, and your clients trust you. You need to focus more on the growth of your company and less on the clutter in your office.
The solution of having a simple, convenient, and cost-effective storage space is right in front of you. As your business grows, its needs also change.
That’s why you can rest easy with a month-to-month rent allowing you to upgrade to a bigger storage space if needed. And it’s good knowing you’re not stuck in a long-term agreement, but you’ll have a long-term solution!
- E-commerce – When running an E-commerce business, you know your top priority is maintaining your inventory. By renting a self-storage unit, you’ll eliminate time-consuming inventory management and free up space for operations. Another reason many small business owners prefer renting a self-storage unit is that you can upgrade or downgrade the storage unit whenever needed. And depending on the type of your inventory, you can rent a climate-controlled unit. You’ll also feel better knowing your valuable items are under 24/7 video surveillance.
- Home-based – If you’re running a home-based small business, you know that its most significant disadvantages include the lack of separation between work and family life, cluttered home office space, and a shortage of free space for storing needed equipment, files, furniture, or another inventory. Even if you have some space left in your garage, storing your valuable equipment there is very inappropriate and dangerous. The risk of damages due to the garage’s unwelcoming conditions is very big. That’s when you need to consider renting a self-storage unit where your valuable items will be safe and organised, and you’ll finally enjoy a better home office space.
- Small retail – Renting a self-storage unit can be extremely helpful while you’re running a small retail business. It’s great knowing that your extra equipment and inventory are safe. Maintaining a work-life balance will be helpful because running a business is stressful enough to worry about a lack of organisation in your office. You’ll never have to trip over your equipment with a self-storage unit. Inventory storage space is essential for any business. You can easily get a hold of square footage for your extra inventory rather than paying more for a small warehouse.
What are the benefits of self-storage?
Believe it or not, a self-storage unit can help you grow your business even more due to its benefits.
Whether the size of your business is large or small, it doesn’t matter. With the help of a storage unit, you will quickly become much more organised, and you’ll have more time to focus on the growth of your business and less on the clutter in the office.
Here are some of the top benefits you can get from a self-storage unit:
- Flexibility – One of the many benefits of self-storage units is their flexibility. You can choose from various unit sizes depending on your company’s requirements and needs. If you’re unsure what size will fit your needs, you can use a storage calculator to narrow down the variety of options. Another great benefit that provides flexibility to small business owners is that you can rent the storage unit monthly without making a long-term agreement. This means you’ll easily have the flexibility to start, end, or change your storage rental needs.
- Easy expansion – It’s a dream come true for small business owners to see their business grow. But growth comes with space expansions; sometimes, that’s not so exciting. Renting a bigger office comes with more costs, and if you want to avoid that, you can easily find a solution by renting a self-storage unit instead. You can free up the needed space in your office by putting away the paperwork or equipment that is no longer needed. You can take advantage of the space you created by coming up with new workstations for your employees, for example.
- Good security – One of the most important benefits of storage facilities is your peace of mind, knowing your valuable things are safe and secure. These storage spaces offer much better security for your business inventory than keeping them in the office. They provide adequate safety measures such as CCTV and alarm systems, gates and security fences, security guards doing around-the-clock area checks 24/7, and motion sensors. And if that’s not enough protection, we don’t know what is.
- Allows you to save money – Saving money as much as possible is very important when running a small business. Believe it or not, renting a self-storage unit for your business inventory can even save you money. Due to the variety of unit sizes, you can choose from, the lack of contract terms, and the lack of high-security deposits, you can save yourself the cost of renting an entire warehouse for just a few things.
Way to use a self-storage facility as a small business owner
Maximising your workspace can quickly expand your business while keeping your essential inventory safe and sound in the storage unit. You can optimise the space in the storage unit for your specific needs.
By labelling and keeping everything organised, you’ll quickly find what you’re looking for without storing everything in your office. Minimalism always helps with organisation, tidiness, and a better work environment.
One of the best features of self-storage units is that they offer climate-controlled ones where you can safely store electronics or other sensitive equipment. You’ll be safe knowing that your inventory is protected from damage from extreme weather conditions.
Considering the information above, you’ve probably realised by now that self-storage facilities offer many benefits a small business can take advantage of.
It will improve your operations and business growth no matter how you decide to use it.
Not having to worry about limited space in the office or the safety of your inventory is enough of a reason to consider renting a self-storage unit for your small business.